|Location Map ( geo)|
|Via:||Wisbech St Mary|
|Distance:||11.7 km (7.3 miles)|
|Meets:||B1187, C190, C19, C20, B1166, C20, C313|
|Former Number(s):||A47, B1441, C312, C313|
|Route outline (key)|
The B1542 is local road with an interesting numbering history.
Upon initial numbering in 1922, the road was the A47, and, when that was re-routed to the east bank of the Nene, the road was renumbered as B1441 between Guyhirn and Wisbech. However, at some point after 1986, the road was downgraded to Class III and became C312. Interestingly, at some point between the May and November 2019 releases of OS VectorMap District mapping, the road appears to have been promoted to Class II again, and is now numbered B1542.
At its eastern end in Wisbech, it takes a slightly different course using Chapel Road (and taking part of the route of the C313, rather than the historical route along North Brink).