|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Monmore Green (SO930974)|
|Distance:||2.1 miles (3.4 km)|
|Meets:||A41, A4039, A4123, A463|
|Route outline (key)|
It starts on the A41 at Monmore Green near to the speedway and greyhound stadium before heading generally southwards, crossing the A4039 at a light-controlled crossroads next to the site of the former Ettingshall railway station before meeting the A4123 Wolverhampton - Birmingham New Road, again at a light-controlled junction. It then becomes even less important as it runs parallel to that road, finally terminating on the A463.
It is probably Wolverhampton's least busy A-class road, and would probably be more suited to a B-class number.
Whilst the road on the ground is unremarkable, its numbering history is a little more interesting.
The number was originally thought to be allocated in the 1928-29 period, due to the similarity in number with A4123, which opened in late 1927. After further research, it was assumed that the A4123 (and the nearby A4124) were allocated in April 1927, and the A4127 in April 1928.
However, during the early annual changes in the numbering system, each zone was taken individually and consecutive numbers were used starting from central London and working outwards.
The April 1927 changes included the allocation of A4123 and A4124 in the Wolverhampton area. This road is closer to central London than the A4124, and so would be expected to carry that number if they had been allocated at the same time (with the A4124 being allocated the A4125 number instead). However, the real A4125 was in Abergavenny, further out from London than Wolverhampton. Furthermore, the A4126 does not appear on the relevant 1927-28 MoT Map (Sheet 16), whilst both the A4123 and A4124 do. Instead, the B4162 number is shown.
Hence, the A4126 number should have been allocated in April 1928 as part of the next batch of new numbers.
However, in April 1928, A4127 was allocated to a route in Middlesex, far closer to central London than southern Staffordshire. This then breaks the "closest to London is allocated first" rule if A4126 was allocated here at that time.
It is therefore entirely possible that A4126 was one of the earliest recycled numbers, though where that number was originally allocated is at this time complete speculation, though a "best guess" would indicate an allocation in 1927 in west or mid-Wales, or in 1928 in central London.
The 1932 Ten-Mile Road Map of Great Britain shows the A4126 number in use for this road, giving an end point for its allocation here.
Away from its numbering history, this road marks part of the original boundary between the townships of Wolverhampton and Bilston, both within Wolverhampton parish.