A544 (Betws-y-Coed - Llandudno)
|From:||Waterloo Bridge, Betws-y-Coed (SH798557)|
|Distance:||19.4 miles (31.2 km)|
|Met (1923):||A5, B5106, A55, B5114, B5115, A546|
|Now part of:||A470, A546, B5115|
|Route outline (key)|
Starting on the A5 on the far side of the Waterloo Bridge from Betws-y-Coed itself, the A544 headed northwards, downstream along the River Conwy. The road remained on the right bank throughout. It passed through Llanrwst, the largest place en route, early on in its journey before a few smaller villages led the road to the A55 (now A547) to the east of Llandudno Junction.
There was a short multiplex west along the A55 through town before the A544 regained its number and headed north along what is now the B5115. The road entered Llandudno from the south along Conway Road before ending in the town centre on the seafront on the A546.
In 1935 the whole route south of the A55 was renumbered as a northern extension of the A496 whilst the section to the north became the B5115, making the A544 number redundant. Except for a few bypasses, the route is now numbered A470, whose route north of the A55 is closer to that of the A544 than the A496.