|Length:||31.4 miles (50.5 km)|
|Meets:||M1, A421, A4012, B530, A5120, A6, A600, B659, A1, A1(M), B656, B1037, A10, B1038|
|Former Number(s):||A418, A1|
|Old route now:||B1038|
|Route outline (key)|
The A507 essentially acts as a Mid-Bedfordshire distributor. The fact that this east-west road, which is only secondary, links up four primary routes and two motorways, all north-south, and bypasses just about every town along the way, lends considerable weight to this observation.
Brogborough - Buntingford
The route now starts at the northern roundabout in the dumbbell of M1 junction 13, where it also meets the A421. It heads north along that road's former route then immediately turns right at a a set of traffic lights. For the first 2 miles it runs parallel to the M1 before turning away when it rejoins its original routing (which ran through Ridgmont village to meet the A4012 until 2008).
Clearly the A507 used to follow a gentler, more meandering route than its current form, connecting town centre to town centre. The main section of the modern road, the Ampthill to A1(M) J10 stretch, is a single-carriageway, grade-engineered road with one generously wide lane in each direction, where it's possible and necessary to overtake by straddling the centre line. The junctions are not grade-separated though, and you do have to negotiate a number of roundabouts along the way. The towns of Ampthill, Flitwick, Clophill, Shefford, Clifton, and Stotfold are all bypassed, and the new alignment was laid out in the 1980s I believe, although there are a few sections where the A507 still follows its original route.
The section from the A1 to Buntingford through the heart of Baldock is again a single-carriageway road but of a more traditional width. The town of Baldock is quite pretty in an unpretentious way; before the A505 bypass was built traffic queues at the main crossroads in town were common.
The rest of the route is through rolling North Herts countryside until we end on the A10 on its bypass of Buntingford, although the junction was originally in the centre of town.
Original Author(s): Paul Berry, later edited by Jeni
Original 1922 Route
The original 1922 route of the road was Ampthill - Buntingford, with the section between Ampthill and Ridgmont being part of the A418 (now cut back to Leighton Buzzard). In the Baldock area there was a multiplex with (what was then) the A1 through the town, but now the A507 has the road to itself as the A1(M) bypasses the town.
The Ampthill Bypass opened in 1983, after 40 years of discussion. It was subjected to major roadworks in 2001, when the pavement was reinforced to prolong its life.
Opened in 2008 the Ridgmont bypass relieved the village from through A507 traffic, as well as creating a shorter route for the A507, cutting off the corner that involved a loop to the south of the M1
Henlow Clifton Shefford Bypass
Opened in 1990 and put an end to the constant traffic congestion at the traffic lights on a 90 degree junction in Shefford Town centre.