|From:||Llandudno Junction (SH794775)|
|Length:||4.8 miles (7.7 km)|
|Meets:||A55, A547, B5115, A470|
|Old route now:||B5115|
|Route outline (key)|
The A546 runs along the west side of the Creuddyn Peninsula in North Wales. It is not a long road.
Llandudno Junction - Llandudno
The road begins at A55 J18, the last grade-separated junction heading westwards along the A55 before you arrive at the Conwy Tunnel. We pass over the railway just to the west of the station that gives Llandudno Junction its name before we arrive at a roundabout on the present A547 (which was the A55).
We run straight on from here, alongside the Llandudno branch line, passing Tywyn and then a junction with the B5115 which used to provide a handy short cut into the eastern part of Llandudno before the A470 link was built to the east. The next place is Deganwy, then we run past a golf course before entering the west side of the self-proclaimed queen of Welsh holiday resorts – Llandudno.
After crossing the railway, we pass the end of Trinity Avenue, one of the main east-west roads through the town. Then we pass one block inland from the quiet West Shore, the Great Orme rising up in front. We then turn right into Gloddaeth Avenue which broadens out into a wide dual carriageway and is the main east-west route through town. If you turn left off here, the road begins to climb up the lower slopes of the Great Orme; to the right everything is very flat and gentle.
We pass the end of Mostyn Street, the main shopping street, before emerging on the north shore and turning right near the pier to run alongside the famous broad promenade. On the right we pass the end of Vaughan Street, the A470, one of the true coast-to-coast roads in Britain as it reaches tidal water at each end. Shortly after, the road ends where the B5115 reaches the shoreline at Craig-y-don, and continues alongside the promenade past the Little Orme and on to Colwyn Bay.
The history of the A546 is somewhat involved and only the short section along some of the promenade remains from the original route of the A546.
In 1922 the A546 started on Llandudno's promenade at the northern end of the A544 (now A470) and headed east along the coast past the Little Orme and through Llandrillo-yn-Rhos to end on the A55 (now A547) to the west of Colwyn Bay.
The A544 was abolished in 1935 and its replacement, the A496, entered Llandudno further west (the route of the present A546 in fact). The A546 was therefore extended west of its original starting point to meet the new A496 Gloddaeth Avenue by the war memorial.
The slightly extended route of the A546 was still in existence in the 1970s. However, the A496 disappeared in the 1970s with the coming of the A470 - and that road enters town along a new alignment. The old A496 has now become an extension of the A546, whilst the majority of the original A546 to the east of Llandudno has been downgraded, becoming the A5115.