The A552 is a fairly short road on the Wirral peninsula in Cheshire. It connects the western suburb of Woodchurch to the central area of Birkenhead.
Woodchurch village was incorporated into the borough of Birkenhead in 1933, and a large estate was built north of the A551 / A552 junction. From here the road heads east, crossing the M53 at the strangely elongated junction 3 and going under the railway before entering another Birkenhead suburb, Prenton. From the motorway to shortly before the terminus the A552 in the centre of town the route is primary.
After crossing the B5151 we pass close to Tranmere Rovers' football ground and curve gradually northwards in a kind of valley past the technical college. The road (Borough Road) is a dual carriageway for a while as we cross the intersection with the A5029 and B5148 and arrive at Birkenhead Central Station, where an overpass takes traffic to the Mersey Tunnel or onto the A5227.
Staying at ground level, however, the A552 turns north onto Argyle Street past Hamilton Square, then runs the full length of Argyle Street to end at traffic lights on the A554 Canning Street (though some maps identify the final 200 m of Argyle Street, from Cleveland Street to Canning Street, as a section of the A5030).