B863 (Black Isle)
|From:||Conon Bridge (NH543553)|
|Distance:||27.5 miles (44.3 km)|
|Met (1932):||A88, B862, B8026, A833, A88|
|Now part of:||B9163, B9175|
|Route outline (key)|
Starting on the A88 (present A862) in Conon Bridge the road followed the Cromarty Firth not particularly closely. At Balblair it zigzagged around Udale Bay and then ran along the shoreline into Cromarty.
When the B863 was first classified in 1922, it only went this far. However, by 1932 the route had been extended across the ferry and on alongside Nigg Bay and through Arabella to meet the A88 again at Newfield, east of Invergordon.
In 1935, numerous B roads were subtly adjusted from B8xx to B91xx, so the B863 (which found itself entirely on the eastern side of the new A9) became the B9163. The section north of the Nigg Ferry is now the B9175, presumably to dissuade drivers from using the seasonal ferry as a through route, although this section of road did seem to be declassified completely in the 1950s.