|Location Map ( geo)|
|modified roundabout interchange|
|M1, A41, A4008|
|Junctions related to the A4008|
Berrygrove is the original southern terminal of the M1, now Junction 5. The roundabout and slip roads used to have motorway status and hard shoulder; the opening of the A4008 and the addition of a third circulatory lane removed them.
As a terminus on the brand new motorway network, it became an accident blackspot, so the now well-established "reduce speed now" sign was trialled here.
It was originally built as a roundabout on the A41 Watford Bypass at the bottom end of the M1 in 1959. It became, on the M1's extension, an unstacked stacked-roundabout interchange (the A41 and M1 cannon). The A4008 was added later, downgrading the roundabout's motorway status.
In the early 1970s proposals were made to improve the Watford Bypass by grade separating the junctions to enable unimpeded flow between the M1 and the A41(M)/M25 at Hunton Bridge. The M1 would have been moved to the north of the roundabout to allow a link between the M1(S) and A41(N). Preliminary plans for Bushey Interchange also include this as a potential layout at Berrygrove suggesting there would be an increase in traffic using the junction. However it was later felt undesirable to have increased amounts of through traffic using the Watford Bypass.
The M16's more northern route options passed near the junction, heavily modifying it, however these routes were soon rejected.
|The NORTH, St Albans, (M25 East)||junction 5, truck route to Park Street and Colney St|
|C. London, Brent Cross, Harrow||junction 5.|
|(M25) (West), Aylesbury, North Watford||'The Grove' also signed as a tourist attraction.|
|C. London, Harrow, Watford (South)||truck route to Otterspool Industrial Estate|
|Watford town centre, Bushey||'Top Golf Game Centre' also signed as a tourist attraction|