|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||12.5 miles (20.1 km)|
|Meets:||B7029, A73, A775, B7057, B717, B718, B7069, A706|
|Former Number(s):||A723, A8|
|Old route now:||A706|
|Route outline (key)|
The B7066 is a medium-length road in Scotland's Central Belt.
The road starts at traffic lights on the B7029 in Carfin and heads northeast along Newarthill Road, soon going over a railway line. We then pass between a school and the Carfin Grotto (a Catholic pilgrimage site) then go over another railway line above Carfin station. The road goes through the centre of Newarthill and then crosses a few fields before reaching a T-junction on the A73. There's a brief multiplex to the left to a roundabout, where the B7066 regains its number by turning right.
We now follow the dead-straight Glasgow & Edinburgh Road but we detour to avoid Main Street in Salsburgh. The road still runs through the village, however, although no buildings actually front onto our road. Indeed, the verge on the right is wide enough that it seems there were plans to dual this road, although building the M8 to the left put paid the idea. At the far end of Main Street we bear right to avoid crossing the motorway and run through Kirk of Shotts; again there's a short bypass.
After bypassing Hirst (which consists of a couple of houses and little else) we are crossed by the B7057, which leads to M8 J5 to the left. We then come close to the M8 again before running through a wood to enter Eastfield, where we reach the two northern ends of the B717. We then run into Harthill, where we go along Main Street and meet the B718.
The road reenters open country and skirts Polkemmet Country Park before bearing left to reach a roundabout. An unclassified road bears left through the Heartlands Business Park to reach M8 J4A, whilst the B7069 bears right into the centre of Whitburn. Our road continues ahead along the bypass to end on the A706 just south of the motorway.
On classification in 1922 the section of the present B7066 from Carfin to Newhouse was the northern end of the A723. The remainder was part of the A705, with the exception of the section through Kirk of Shotts, which was unclassified, and the eastern end, which was not built until later; this became part of the A8 in 1935, as did the old A723 west to Newhouse.
Construction of the M8 in the late 1960s brought the B7066 into existence as our road took on the bypassed section of A8. Around Kirk of Shotts the A8 was upgraded to motorway online, so our road took on the route through the settlement. Indeed, the B7066 continued east slightly further to meet the B7002, although this is now part of the A706.
The western end of the B7066 remained at Newhouse until around 2000, when the A723 was moved onto its present bypass and our road extended along the old road.