|Location Map ( geo)
|4 miles (6.4 km)
|A73, B802, A8, A723, A775, B7029, A723
|Old route now:
|Route outline (key)
The B799 runs from Chapelhall to Motherwell in North Lanarkshire.
The route starts at a roundabout on the A73 to the south east of Chapelhall and curves west along Lancaster Avenue around the southern side of the expanding village. There are a number of right turns into the sprawling estates, and then a left turn into a small industrial area. Just beyond this, the route meets its older (but not original) alignment along Chaeplhall's main street at a roundabout and turns hard left, quickly meeting another, much larger roundabout which is part of Chapelhall Junction with the interwoven A8 and M8. The B802 turns off to the right here, following the B799's original line into Airdrie, while a seemingly unclassified road runs down to another roundabout serving the main dumbbell part of the interchange. The B799 continues ahead, crossing both the motorway and A8, to reach another large roundabout, which is effectively the mirror image, with a connection down to the Dumbbell. The other two arms are unclassified, however, and serve the sprawling industrial areas of Eurocentral and Newhouse to either side.
A short run south along Bo'Ness Road leads to another roundabout on the A775, with the A723 continuing ahead. There are plans to dual the A723 to the south, and along with the new road through Ravenscraig and other upgrades, provide another dualled connection from the M8 through to the A74 near Motherwell. This could see the A723 extended slightly to meet the M8 properly. A multiplex of around half a mile westwards along the A775 through Holyton leads to the next section of the B799.
The route resumes at a signalised T junction and heads southwards through New Stevenston on the straight Stevenston Street. Few properties face directly onto the main road, which has wide, tree lined verges. It then kinks to the right by some shops winds around and across the railway on a bridge which replaced a level crossing well over a century ago. This leads to a T junction on the B7029, and the two routes have a short multiplex eastwards along Clydesdale Street to a roundabout on the line of the old level crossing. The two routes split again, with the route heading south along Jervison Street, running between an assortment of houses at first. An area of wooded parkland then takes over on the right, followed by a golf course, with a long row of interwar semis opposite. Houses resume on both sides just before the route reaches its terminus at a second encounter with the A723 at the mini-roundabout junction between Jerviston Road and Merry Street on the north east side of Motherwell.
None of what is now the B799 was originally a classified road in 1922, and while the number was first introduced to the area in c1925, it has seen a number of changes since. The original line started on the A8 in Airdrie, apparently opposite the B802, and headed south on Broomknoll Street and then Cairnhill Road. This winding road has had a few bends ironed out over the years, notably the right angle bend at Lanark Avenue / Sykeside Road. The route then turned right onto Calderbank Road and passed through the small village on Main Street. After crossing the North Calder Water, the old alignment gets lost under the Chapelhall Junction on the M8. It met its current line on Bo'Ness Road somewhere between the motorway and the roundabout to the south of the junction. All of this is now part of the B802. From here, it ran down to the roundabout on the A775 as it does now. The southern part of the route seems to be largely unchanged, although the 1927 revision of the MOT map seems to suggest that the B799 used the old level crossing over the railway at New Stevenston, rather than the bridge. Other contemporary maps suggest this is unlikely.
The route was subsequently changed north of where the motorway now crosses. At some point before 1932, the B7028 had been created to pass through Chapelhall, and this seems to have survived until the A8 was dualled in the early 1960s. Certainly, at some point between 1961 and 1966, the B799 was diverted over the former B7028 and the A802 extended south from Airdrie. An the same time frame, the A8 was dualled and a new GSJ constructed to connect the two routes. The OS first record the current line of the B799, on Lancaster Avenue, the Chapelhall bypass, in 2018