|From:||Southchurch Road (TQ884859)|
|To:||Eastern Esplanade (TQ889850)|
|Length:||0.7 miles (1.1 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The A1160 is a short link road connecting Southend-on-Sea town centre with the coast.
Heading east, the A13 skirts Southend town centre on Queensway, then TOTSOs at a roundabout GSJ on rejoining its current route. The continuation of the road, still called Queensway and still D2, is the A1160. It heads south and soon goes under the railway line to Shoeburyness. Although there are no buildings actually lining the A1160, this new-build road sliced through an old estate and therefore a few residential roads are accessed from the A1160, with some houses end-on.
The road turns left at the next roundabout and becomes S2, now actually less built-up than before. At the next roundabout it turns right to head south once more. This road, Southchurch Avenue, already existed and so we are lined with buildings for the first time. The road passes the imposing building of the Kursaal to end at traffic lights immediately afterwards. Ahead is the sea although it is not visible from here. The road to the left is numbered B1016 and the road to the right is unclassified.
On classification in 1922 all the above was either unclassified or non-existent. Southchurch Avenue, heading north to the A13, was soon renumbered as an extension of the B1016 but it became the B1015 in 1935 when the former was rerouted along the sea front. In the 1960s Southchurch Avenue was renumbered as the A1160. In more recent years the number has been transferred onto the newly built Queensway and so the majority of Southchurch Avenue is unclassified.