A1167 (Green Hammerton - Boroughbridge)
|From:||Green Hammerton (SE457568)|
|Distance:||7.6 miles (12.2 km)|
|Now part of:||B6265|
|Route outline (key)|
The A1167 is one of the numbers given to this, the most renumbered road in Britain.
Originally part of the A66 route from Scotch Corner to Hull, this road was renumbered A1079 in 1924 when the A66 was rerouted to Darlington, then A167 in 1935 when the A59 was extended to York. During World War II, Dishforth Airfield was built over the line of the A167. Due to this, the A167 between Boroughbridge and Topcliffe was cut in two and the loose ends declassified. The section of A167 south of Boroughbridge was given a new number, the A1167 (an early case of unimaginative renumbering), as it was detached from the rest of the road.
The road started in Green Hammerton, at the TOTSO on the A59. It headed northwest along a Roman alignment, passing a couple of villages but going through no places of any size. After a few miles the Roman Road continued ahead whilst the A1167 bore off to the left. It bypassed Aldborough before entering Boroughbridge, where it zigzagged into Fishergate before ending on the A1 Horsefair.