B153 (Northern Ireland)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||7.8 miles (12.6 km)|
|Met (1930):||B95, A6, B39, B101, A26|
|Now part of:||A57, C110|
|Route outline (key)|
The B153 was a cross-country road in west County Antrim.
The road started near Parkgate at a junction on the B95 which was altered when the M2 was built. It headed southwest along Ballybentragh Road to cross the A6 in Dunadry then headed south along Clady Road to meet the B39 Seven Mile Straight.
The B153 continued along Ballyrobin Road to cross the B101 (present A26) before following Killead Road to Aldersgrove. It ended her on the original line of the A26, which has now been lost under the runway of Belfast International Airport.
The B153 was originally unclassified, gaining its number in the late 1920s. However, the full length of the road as described above did not last long. By the 1946 OSNI Road Map (left) it had shrunk to a spur running west from the then-B101 to end on an unclassified road near Killead; it didn't even reach the ex-A26.
With its original western end truncated by the airport, the road's original purpose was largely rendered redundant by the alteration of the route of the A26 and the construction of the A57, which has taken over part of the ex-B153 Ballyrobin Road.