B124 (Northern Ireland)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||10.7 miles (17.2 km)|
|Met (1930):||A25, B112, B133, B134, B78|
|Now part of:||B133, C214, B134|
|Route outline (key)|
The B124 was a winding road in east County Armagh.
The road started on the A25 to the west of Newry and headed north along Millvale Road. After passing the B112 for Bessbrook it climbed to Enagh, where it bore left onto Kingsmill Road. This descended to the west to cross the Blackwater River and then reached Whitecross, where the road turned northerly again.
After crossing the valley of the Creggan River the road continued across undulating terrain. It went round the eastern side of Shaw's Lake and then crossed a ridge to go through Mowhan. It wasn't long before the road ended on the B78, with that road continuing ahead into Markethill.
The B124 was originally unclassified but came into existence in the mid-1920s, following the route given above.
The B133 and B134 had come to the area by 1930; these roads both met the B124 although it seems most likely that they did not affect the route of our road. However, the central section of the B124, between Enagh and Whitecross, had been declassified by 1946. It was decided not to reroute the B124 but instead extend the other two B-roads. As such the road from Newry to Enagh is now part of the B133, whilst the section from Whitecross to Markethill is B134.