|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Newport Pagnell (SP887429)|
|Distance:||14.8 miles (23.8 km)|
|Meets:||A509, A422, A45, A5076, A508|
|Route outline (key)|
The B526 is a cross-country B-road running south of Northampton. The road was originally part of the A506, becoming the A50 in 1935. The road was downgraded in the 1960s following the opening of the M1, gaining its present number.
The road starts at a roundabout at the southern end of the Newport Pagnell bypass, where it meets the A422 and A509. It heads north along Tickford Street into the town centre where it reaches a mini-roundabout on the High Street. It turns right and descends out of town, crossing the two channels of the River Great Ouse to enter open country. That river is in a large loop here and the B526 follows the river to where it would have crossed it if the river were straight.
After passing the grounds of Gayhurst House the road continues northwestwards to run through Stoke Goldington and then climbs to the county boundary. It skirts Little Horton Wood and then descends to pass through the village of Horton itself. The next village is Hackleton, then the road passes to the north of Preston Deanery before reaching the outskirts of Northampton. A roundabout is reached from where an unclassified road heads left towards the M1, although traffic is directed to stay on the B526.