|From:||School Hill, Findochty (NJ459677)|
|To:||Station Road, Findochty (NJ465676)|
|Distance:||0.5 miles (0.8 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B9020 is a loop off the A942 through the Banffshire coastal village of Findochty.
The road starts at the western end of Findochty village at a fork junction off the A942, rather grandly signed to the 'Town Centre'. It drops down into the village, past the harbour on the left.
At the end of Commercial Street the route TOTSOs right, to climb up Station Road, although the turn is unsigned and the road ahead leads on into the village, along some very narrow streets, to eventually arrive at a dead end.
Many older maps do show a loop around Blantyre Terrace and New Street as being part of the B9020 – and the 1923 MoT map suggests that the road remained adjacent to the coast and ended at the pier, so maybe the TOTSO is a relic of years gone by. Either way, the route now climbs back up Station Road to rejoin the A942 on the edge of the village.
The present eastern junction of the B9020 and A942 lies 120 metres of its original location, the layout of both roads here having been rationalized in the 1980s following the dismantling of the Moray Coast railway line in 1968.