|Location Map ( geo)|
|Via:||Great Southern Road|
|Distance:||13.7 miles (22 km)|
|Meets:||A9013, A945, A92, B979, A957|
|Former Number(s):||A92, A943|
|Route outline (key)|
The B9077, otherwise known as the Great Southern Road, is a secondary route following the River Dee upstream from Aberdeen. After leaving the city it remains to the south of the river.
The road starts inside Aberdeen City at a roundabout with the A9013 Holburn Street, near Ferryhill Library. Initially it is a dual carrigeway and heads southeast, then turns south at a mini-roundabout and passes between Duthie Park and Allenvale Cemetery. It then crosses the Dee at King George VI Bridge. Just south of the river, it reaches a roundabout with the unclassified West Tullos Road and Provost Watt Drive, where it takes the right-hand turning. It meets the A92 east of Bridge of Dee and becomes single carriageway but it continues along the south bank of the River Dee as it leaves the city.
It heads west away from Aberdeen, running under the A90 (but with no direct access) before meeting the B979, where you can turn north to access the A93 and the A90. The B979 multiplexes for a short distance before turning south towards Stonehaven, while the B9077 continues for several miles until it reaches the A957. The B9077 classification ends here but an unclassified road continues upstream towards Banchory.
In 1923, the section along the south bank of the Dee from Crathes to Bridge of Dee was the A943; King George VI Bridge did not exist (it was built in the late 1930s and originally carried the A92), and the remainder of the route was either unbuilt or unclassified suburban road. The B9077 appears to date to the late 1970s.