|From:||Water Sound Ferry (ND469946)|
|Distance:||8 miles (12.9 km)|
|Met (1923):||Ferry, B9044, B9043, B9042, B9041, Unclassified|
|Now part of:||A961|
|Route outline (key)|
B9040 is the former number for the A961 on South Ronaldsay, Orkney. The road started at the landing stage for the ferry across the Water Sound to Burray and headed west then south across the island, ending by the churchyard at Burwick.
The road was upgraded to the A961 shortly after World War II with the construction of the Churchill Barriers. However, as can be seen from the map top right for a while the two routes co-existed on the island, the A961 initially terminating at St Margaret's Hope, and the B9040 continuing along the rest of the route to Burwick. The reason behind this, and indeed the date of the final change are not known as yet, although it had taken place by 1956.