|To:||Fort George (NH765566)|
|Distance:||15.1 miles (24.3 km)|
|Meets:||B865, B853, B8082, A9, B9177, B851, B9091, B9090, A96, B9092, B9039, unclassified|
|Route outline (key)|
Route : Inverness - Fort George
The B9006 is a U-shaped road in north Inverness-shire, heading east from Inverness.
The road starts at the Millburn Roundabout junction with the B865, just to the west of the Raigmore Interchange on the A9 Inverness bypass. It heads south as Old Perth Road, the former route of the A-road, to a mini roundabout with the B853. From here it heads east to the Inshes Junction, where it meets the B8082 and A9.
After crossing the A9, the B9006 starts climbing the hill to the overspill suburban areas of Westhill, Smithton, Culloden and Balloch. The B9177 then forks off right to take on the former line of the A9, while the B9006 continues westwards, now on its historic route. Whilst the road provides a link between these suburbs and the city centre, it curves around to the south rather than passes through.
The road continues to climb onto Drumossie Muir, where the Battle of Culloden was fought. The road used to cross through the middle of the battlefield, but has been re-aligned in a sweep to the north to avoid this important historic and archaeological site. Just beyond the battlefield the road meets the B851 at a difficult set of junctions around Cumberland's Stone.
Having crossed the ridge of hills, the road starts the long, gentle descent into the valley of the River Nairn, forking left at a TOTSO junction with the B9091 at Croy. This takes it back over the ridge, and down a much sharper descent to another TOTSO, this time with the B9090. Now heading north, along one of General Wade's Military Roads, the A96 is soon crossed at a re-aligned staggered crossroads.
This is the home straight now, quite literally, as the road runs dead-straight to Ardersier, where the B9092 is crossed, after which we meet the B9039 as the B9006 starts to curve around the bay. The last mile runs along the back of the dunes to Fort George, where the road ends by the car park.
As mentioned above, the first few miles out of Inverness is the old alignment of the A9, as far as the B9177 junction to the east of the Inshes Junction. The next section was originally unclassified but was added to the original B9006 route before 1932, with the exception of the new alignment around Culloden Battlefield, but it is only the piece north of the A96, running up to Fort George, which was originally allocated in 1922. The road originally ended by a ferry to Chanonry Point (and thence along an unclassified road to Fortrose); this has not run for many years.