The B9140 is a road of different characters, starting off as an important bypass, and ending up as little more than a quiet country lane.
Starting at the relatively new Dumyat View roundabout junction on the A907 to the west of Tullibody, the first stretch of the B9140 is a modern road, built at the same time as a northern bypass for Tullibody. After half a mile or so travelling eastwards, it reaches a large roundabout and shortly after picks up the historic route, which followed Menstrie Road out of the town. The B9140 continues to skirt the northern edge of the town, albeit with the houses facing away from the main road onto estate roads. At the end of the houses on the right a prison sits on the left and then it's out into open fields down to the roundabout with the B908.
Heading west into Coalsnaughton
The road continues over undulating low hills, before entering Sauchie, and quickly crosses the A908 at a crossroads. The houses disappear as quickly as they appeared, and the road starts climbing through some patches of woodland up to the small village of Coalsnaughton. Climbing further out of the village, the road is now a wide, reasonably straight, route running through open fields and past occasional roadside cottages, with surprisingly little traffic. The new, luxury estate of Dollarbeg is hidden in the trees to the left, as the road drops down to its terminus on the B913.
Whilst the B9140 was not classified in 1922, it did exist by 1932, just a decade later. At that time it followed its modern route in all except the western end, where it ran down Menstrie Road to meet the B9096 in the centre of Tullibody. The change to the current route happened in c. 2009 when the new road was built as part of the improvement scheme to the A907 from Stirling to Alloa.