|To:||Montreathmont Moor (NO599531)|
|Distance:||8.8 miles (14.2 km)|
|Meets:||A932, B9134, A934, A933|
|Old route now:||A932|
|Route outline (key)|
The B9113 is a link road in south Angus.
The road starts at the east end of Forfar leaving the A932 Arbroath Road just past the start of the B9134. The Lowson Memorial Church is the first landmark on high ground to the right and the road then passes newly built houses at Gowanbank before heading out into the country. Going slightly downhill, the road approaches a wood on the left, where the medieval ruins of Restenneth Priory stand, the spire of which can be spotted above the trees. The town's refuse depot is on the right at a 90-degree left-hand bend, which is at the start of over a mile of twisty road.
After a short dark section of woods the road emerges at Rescobie, with the loch and its fishing facilities on the right, and the church and manse on the left with the southern slopes of Turin Hill beyond. After the loch there are a couple of short straights that offer overtaking opportunities, then the road snakes right then left uphill before straightening out at a crossroads of minor roads: left heads up the hill to the B9134 at Aberlemno; right goes past Balgavies Loch to the A932 about a mile away.
Heading slightly uphill, another crossroads is passed and the road reaches its highest point and also its fastest section, a straight, clear run past the farms of Pickerton, Dubton and Mosstonmuir, before reaching the final mile and a half through Montreathmont Forest. This used to be a dark run but extensive clearing has been taking place in recent years. The road then comes to an end at the T-junction with the A933 Arbroath to Brechin road. To continue to Montrose requires a left turn and then a quick right onto the A934.
The B9113 was originally unclassified but gained its number in 1932. However, due to limitations of small-scale maps the road's original western end is not certain.
In 1939 the road started to the southwest of Forfar town centre, on the A929 (now A926) Dundee Loan and headed northeast along St James Road and Academy Street. A short multiplex along the A958 South Street and A932 East High Street led to the present western end of the B9113, which then left town along Montrose Road as it still does today.
It is not known if the road's original western end is the same as its current starting point and the road was quickly extended west, or if the road always started on Dundee Loan but could not be shown thus on a map. Either way, the road was cut back to its present route when the A932 was moved away from the High Street in the 1980s.