|Length:||5.3 miles (8.5 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B9122 is a loop off the A970 towards the southern end of Mainland Shetland. The road was originally unclassified - indeed the 1923 MoT map shows the road as merely a track - but gained its number in the mid-1930s.
The road starts to the south of Channerwick at a sharp corner on the A970 and heads southwest up the valley of the Burn of Teevliks. The road is only S1 but would only be serving local traffic anyway. After reaching the watershed the road descends; the west coast and St Ninian's Isle (perhaps the main reason for using the B9122) soon come into view. A couple of bends take us past Williamsetter, then a right turn leads to the village of Bigton and the island.
The road is now dead-straight for the best part of a mile, although the sea is now largely hidden from us. After the road starts to wind again we return to the coast at the Bay of Scousburgh and run along the cliff to Scousburgh itself; this small settlement is the largest en route. We then skirt the edge of South Scousburgh before continuing on southeastwards. After zigzagging through Skelberry the road ends at a T-junction back on the A970; that road has taken a slightly shorter but much better engineered route since we saw it last.