|Location Map ( geo)|
|former A814 • former A82|
Partick Bridge was built in 1878 to replace the older Snow Bridge (see below). It is a single span Iron Arch structure carrying a rather narrow S4 roadway. There is also an iron services bridge immeidately to the south, carrying a large tube, painted the same green as the ironwork of the bridge. The spandrels of the arch carry the Glasgow coat of arms, with the motto 'Let Glasgow Flourish'. There are 9 iron ribs under the roadway, springing from Red Sandstone abutments. These are flanked with octagonal towers carrying elegant (but modern) lamp stands. A much smaller octagon and lamp are cast into the ironwork at the centre of the bridge.
The predecessor to the Partick Bridge was the Snow Bridge, set immediately to the north of the newer structure, but at a different angle, it seems to have been the first bridge at this location, despite only dating from c1800. There are three arches spanning the River Kelvin, and a further span across a former millstream. The bridge is now a pedestrian/cycle crossing within Kelvingrove Park, with the nearby Kelvingrove Museum.