B744 (Muirkirk - Glasgow)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Via:||Strathaven, East Kilbride|
|Distance:||27.5 miles (44.3 km)|
|Met (1923):||A70, B745, A71, A723, A726, B759, A730, A74|
|Now part of:||B743, A726, A749|
|Route outline (key)|
The number B744 was originally allocated to a lengthy B-road heading into Glasgow from the south.
The road started on the A70 in Muirkirk, Ayrshire, and headed north over the hills into Lanarkshire, eventually descending into Strathaven. It met the A71 at its junction with the A723 and multiplexed with the latter along Townhead Street before regaining its number to leave town along Glasgow Road.
The road headed north via Chapelton before zigzagging over the Calder Water to reach East Kilbride, a place which has changed completely in the intervening years. The B744 entered town along what is now Mount Cameron Drive South before running into Avondale Avenue and Main Street, meeting the original line of the A726 at the far end. There was a multiplex to the right, along Old Coach Road and Highfield Place, before the A726 bore off right along Howard Place and the B744 continued north; a B&Q has been built on top of this section.
After leaving East Kilbride the road zigzagged via Greenleeshill (the modern A749 follows a straighter route) and the B744 was the dominant partner in a short multiplex with the B759. The road then passed to the west of Cambuslang to reach Rutherglen. It crossed the A730 Main Street and ended shortly afterwards on the A74 Cambuslang Road. This location is described in the 1922 Road Lists as Glasgow.
The entire section of the B744 north of Strathaven was renumbered A749 in the mid-1920s. Then in 1935 the road disappeared completely as the remaining section became an extension of the A723. At the same time the section of the ex-B744 between East Kilbride and Strathaven was renumbered A726.
In more recent years much of the road around East Kilbride has been bypassed and following the road's old route can be difficult. The road south of Strathaven has been downgraded to Class II status again and is now, confusingly, the B743.