Great Western Bridge
|Great Western Bridge|
|Location Map ( geo)|
The Great Western Bridge, crossing the River Kelvin, is the first major bridge reached on the A82's journey north from Glasgow. It was officially opened on 29 September 1891, doubtless replacing an earlier structure nearby. It is an elegant Iron lattice arch structure, crossing the river in two main spans, with a smaller arch to the west of the river allowing the riverside walkway to pass under the road.
When the roads were first classified in 1922 it was the B810 that ran along the Great Western Road and crossed the Kelvin on this bridge. However, as the Great Western Road was steadily extended westwards, so the road was upgraded first to the A876, before finally becoming the A82 in 1934.