A160 (Melton Ross - Barrow)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Melton Ross (TA081111)|
|To:||Barrow upon Humber (TA071208)|
|Distance:||7.7 miles (12.4 km)|
|Met (1956):||A18, B1211, A15, A1077|
|Now part of:||B1211, A1077|
|Route outline (key)|
The original A160 was a short rural A-road in north Lincolnshire, not far from the current incarnation of that number.
The road started on the A18 to the east of Melton Ross, just before that road turned to cross the Scunthorpe to Grimsby railway line. It zigzagged northwards, running through Croxton and Wootton before straightening out. After going through Thornton Curtis it ended on the A15 (now B1206) in Barrow upon Humber.
In the 1960s the rise of Immingham docks led to the need for a new road to serve them. It appears that the A160 was rerouted via Ulceby then along the B1358 to the docks, with the remainder of the road becoming an extension of the A1077. Further improvements in the north Lincolnshire road network have led to the construction of a completely new A160 which has little in common with the history of the road.
The original A160 is now numbered B1211 from the A18 north to the Ulceby turn. The road from there to Wootton is now unclassified and the A1077 continues along the remainder of the road, with a TOTSO in Wootton to show the former through route.