A176 (Stockton on Tees - Middlesbrough)
|From:||Stockton on Tees (NZ444187)|
|Distance:||4 miles (6.4 km)|
|Met (1923):||A19, A1045, A174, A178, A172|
|Now part of:||A1130, B6541|
|Route outline (key)|
The road started on the A19 at the southern end of Stockton High Street. After crossing the Victoria Bridge into Thornaby it ran along Mandale Road and Middlesbrough Road to reach Middlesbrough itself.
In Middlesbrough the A176 ran through the town centre along Corporation Road. It ended to the east on the A172 Marton Road.
Around 1960, the A176 was renumbered as an eastern extension of the A67, which originally ended in Stockton. Later in the 1960s the whole of the A67 east of Darlington was taken over by the A66, which included the ex-A176.
In more recent years the road network on Teesside has been largely rebuilt. The A66 now runs to the south of Thornaby and the north of Middlesbrough. As such, the ex-A176 is now numbered A1130 from Stockton to Thornaby and B6541 from there on. Both ends are now unclassified.