|Distance:||40.4 miles (65 km)|
|Meets:||A52, B1451, B1528, A1028, A16, A153, B1191, B1190, B1225, A157, B1202, B1399, A15, A46, B1182|
|Former Number(s):||A157, B1432|
|Old route now:||A15, B1195, A52|
|Route outline (key)|
The A158 runs across the centre of Lincolnshire.
The A158 now sets off purposefully westwards across the coastal plain, with Burgh le Marsh being bypassed, to Gunby, where a short dualled section leads to a roundabout with the A1028 (cutting off a corner to the northbound A16). After Candlesby the A158 bypasses Partney to cross the A16 at a roundabout; there was a short multiplex here in pre-bypass days.
Continuing west, the A158 crosses the southern end of the Lincolnshire Wolds. After Hagworthingham the road runs in cutting to lessen the gradient; the old, steeper, road is just to the north. As the road starts to descend again the B1195 heads off to the left and the road continues into Horncastle, where the A153 Louth to Grantham road is crossed at traffic lights in the town centre. We run along a relief road for a few hundred yards and meet the B1190 on the edge of town. That road also goes to Lincoln via a shorter – but not quicker – route.
The A158 now turns north-west, for Baumber and Wragby, where it meets the A157 from Louth. The road now curves to the left once more and after Bullington is heading south-west. After Langworth the Lincoln to Grimsby railway line is crossed at a level crossing. The A158 now follows a Roman road into Lincoln.
On the edge of the city a roundabout is reached, with the road ahead into the city centre now the A15. Logically this should be the end of the A158 but in reality the road turns right here and forms the first section of the Lincoln bypass, ending at the next roundabout on the A46. The A158 is thus the dominant number in a useless multiplex with the A15.
The original eastern end of the A158 was at the eastern end of the then-A154 by the station in Skegness. Presumably the road was truncated when the A154 was extended later in the 1920s.
After reaching Partney and the A16 the A158 used to multiplex south along that road to Spilsby before heading west along what is now the B1195 to rejoin the road's current route near Greetham. Presumably this detour south was never really liked, as the A1115 soon came into existence allowing traffic to avoid Partney. In 1935 the direct route west of Partney was classified as the B1432 and the A158 was rerouted this way after World War II.
The original western end of the A158 was on the A157 in Wragby and that road continued west into Lincoln. This took on the A158 number in 1935, presumably as Skegness was deemed more important than Louth.
Former route in Lincoln
The A158 originally continued through the north eastern part of Lincoln along what is now the A15 to end at a TOTSO junction with the original A15/A46 multiplex halfway down the hill. This was a very difficult junction: traffic coming uphill turned round a blind bend followed immediately by the left fork for the A15/A46 - the A158 being "straight on", but actually rounded a bend and over the brow of a hill. Traffic emerging from the side turn (Pottergate) had to contend with traffic sweeping downhill from the left, whilst traffic coming uphill almost invariably failed to indicate left because straightening out from the left turn immediately before the junction caused their indicators to cancel. Pottergate has now been closed to through traffic.
From 1958 to about 1990 the A158 continued even further along the present A15, multiplexing with the A15/A46 to the bottom of the hill. At this point the A15/A46 officially went right, along Silver Street, to meet the High Street. This is odd, because Silver Street is one way - the other way! The A158 took over the former B1188 straight on along Broadgate, across the River Witham on Thorn Bridge - the last road crossing of the river for ten miles downstream - then over the Pelham Bridge flyover, which replaced a three-way level crossing (one road, two railways all crossing on the level) and along Canwick Road to another TOTSO. Here the B1188 goes straight on, whilst the A158 turned right along a new road, built in 1958 to avoid a double crossing of the Lincoln to Grantham railway (which was closed by Beeching just 8 years later). Finally, it joined the original route of the B1190, which crosses Lincoln by a series of multiplexes on its way from Wragby via Bardney and Doddington to Saxilby, for the final stretch to St Catherines at the south end of the A15/A46 High Street, where it ended.