A194 (Cramlington - Shankhouse)
|From:||Seaton Burn (NZ232747)|
|Length:||8.9 miles (14.3 km)|
|Met (1923):||A1, B1329, A195, A189, A192, A1062, B1330, B1328, A193|
|Now part of:||A1068, A192, B1505, A193, B1329|
|Route outline (key)|
The original A194 zigzagged through southeast Northumberland.
The road started on the A1 near Seaton Burn, just to the north of today's A1/A19 interchange. The road headed east then north to cross the East Coast Main Line to the west of the village of Cramlington. At Plessey Checks the road turned eastwards on meeting the A195, then northwards again in Shankhouse at the northern end of the A192.
After another short northerly section the A194 met the A1062 at Bebside Hall and turned eastwards. The road ran along the right bank of the River Blyth into Blyth itself. It ended end-on on the A193 to the north of the town centre.
The A194 was made redundant after World War II, being renumbered as four different roads befitting its zigzag route. Seaton Burn to Plessey Checks is now the A1068 and from there to Shankhouse is the A192; these roads have been heavily upgraded following the construction of Cramlington new town but still more-or-less follow the route of the former A194. Shankhouse to Bebside Hall originally became an extension of the A189 but that road has been upgraded offline and so this section is part of the B1505. The section to Blyth became the A193 - and when Blyth was bypassed the easternmost section of the former A194 became part of the B1329.