A118 (East Ham - Barking)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|East Ham & Barking bypass|
|From:||Canning Town (TQ396818)|
|Distance:||4.4 miles (7.1 km)|
|Met:||A13, A112, A117, A13|
|Now part of:||A13|
|Route outline (key)|
The A118 was originally allocated to the East Ham and Barking Bypass, which opened in 1928.
On classification in 1922 the A118 started on the A13 (now A124) in Plaistow and headed east to meet the A112 where it ended. The road ahead, which was planned to rejoin the A13 to the east of Barking, was not then built but was still allocated the A118 number. Indeed, allocating a number to a road not yet in existence was nothing unusual at the time and still continues today with a projected road given a designated number.
In the 1930s, probably in the 1935 Road numbering revision, the now-complete A118 was renumbered as part of the A13. This road has been upgraded in the interim and the original western end of the A118 is now a glorified sliproad.