|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||11.7 miles (18.8 km)|
|Met (1946):||A923, A94, A926, B954, B952|
|Former Number(s):||B953, B952|
|Now part of:||B954, B952|
|Route outline (key)|
The A927 started on the A923 at Muirhead, now just outside the Dundee city council area. The road headed west then north to meet the railway line from Dundee (now dismantled). Road and railway then ran adjacent for some distance.
Newtyle, the largest place en route, was soon reached, after going through the Glack of Newtyle valley (the railway line needed to detour to the west here to achieve a suitable gradient). The terrain then became flatter and the road straighter before reaching Meigle and the A94 in the centre of the village. There was a short multiplex north and the A927 reappeared in open country.
The road soon crossed the River Isla before climbing slightly to reach the A926 on the southern edge of Alyth. This marked the original northern end of the road. However, it was soon extended into the town along the former B953 and B952, ending on the continuation of the B952 in the Market Square. The section of B952 south of the town also became a spur of the A927, allowing access to/from the west.
This situation remained until the 1970s when the A927 was abolished. It was renumbered B952 north of the A926 (including the section that used to be B953 - the number had been reused) and B954 to the south.