|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||13 miles (20.9 km)|
|Met:||A96, B992, A97|
|Now part of:||B9002|
|Route outline (key)|
The road started on the A96 to the east of Oyne in Garioch. It headed west, going under the railway almost immediately before passing through Oyne itself. After about the same distance again the road zigzagged over the railway line before descending gently into Insch, the largest settlement on the road. The B992 came in from the right and the village centre by the station and then there was a short multiplex across a level crossing back into open fields.
After the end of the multiplex the terrain became more hilly, with the road, railway line and a small stream wedged into a narrow, steep-sided valley. This started to widen out after a couple of miles after which the road passed the Ardmore Distillery to reach Kennethmont. A right-hand bend on the far side of the village led to another bridge over the railway line, then the road skirted the Leith Hall estate (now owned by the National Trust for Scotland). A mile or so of road adjacent to the railway line led to another bridge over the line and the adjacent Water of Bogie. A couple more bends took the road to its terminus on the A97 just to the south of Gartly.
Although the A979 was not deemed worthy of a number when roads were first classified in 1922, it came into existence in the late 1920s. The road lasted about 40 years before being downgraded and renumbered as part of the B9002.