|Length:||17.3 miles (27.8 km)|
|Meets:||A985, A876, A907, A823, M90, A922|
|Former Number(s):||B911, A985, B910, A823|
|Old route now:||A88, A876, A985, B918|
|Route outline (key)|
The A977 is one of the main routes between Northern Fife and Glasgow and the West. Formerly a primary route for its entire length, only the southernmost couple of miles remain so.
Kincardine - Kinross
The road starts as a trunk road to the east of the town of Kincardine at the Longannet Roundabout where it meets the A985. The A985 bypasses Kincardine to the south on the Eastern Link Road which opened in 2006 and the A977 follows the previous route of the A985 into Kincardine where it meets the Northern Approach Road (a detached section of the A876) at the previous terminus of the A977.
From here the road heads north from the town to the Kilbagie Roundabout where the main line of the A876 from the Clackmannanshire Bridge terminates. A short distance to the north is the Gartarry Roundabout where the A977 is crossed by the A907; this is also the end of the trunk road, the A977 continues as a non-primary road maintained by the local councils.
The road continues north-east through the village of Blairingone to multiplex with the A823 (the A977 is dominant although this was not always so) at Powmill, where that road comes in from the south and Dunfermline; around a mile to the north, at Rumbling Bridge, the multiplex ends and the A823 heads north.
The A977 continues northeastwards through Crook of Devon and passes Balado, where the 'T In The Park' music festival is held every year, before reaching junction 6 of the M90 to the west of Kinross, where the road ends. Kinross services are accessed from the A977 just to the west of the roundabout.
The A977 was not on the 1922 Road Lists; it came into existence a few years later when it took over part of the route of the B910. That road ran from Clackmannan to Kinross; the section from the A823 at Rumbling Brige to the A90 (now B996) at Kinross was initially redesignated as the A977. In 1935, following the construction of the Kincardine Bridge, the section of the B910 from Rumbling Bridge to Gartlove was added, along with a new section of road running south from Gartlove to Kincardine, taking over part of the A985 into town. The road then crossed the Forth on the new bridge and, after a brief multiplex with the A905, turned west to meet the A9 just north of Larbert.
Some time in the early 1950s the section west of Kincardine was renumbered A876. The A977 now ended at a triple-point in the centre of Kincardine with the A876 and A985 meaning the southern section of the road became a useless multiplex. Construction of the M876 turned the road east of Larbert into the A88 and the Kincardine Bridge itself is now the A985; the A977 has been extended south of Kincardine to meet the new course of that road.
At the Kinross end, a short section of the A977 was lost with the coming of the M90 in 1972. It now terminated at junction 6 of the motorway; the lost section was renumbered as the B918 except for the first few yards which is part of the A922.
Some realignments have also occurred over the years: the most noticeable was to bypass the small settlement at Balado.