|To:||North Gyle (NT180727)|
|Distance:||6.9 miles (11.1 km)|
|Meets:||A901, B901, A903, B9085, A90, A8|
|Old route now:||B9085|
|Route outline (key)|
The A902 forms part of the Edinburgh northern bypass.
Leith - North Gyle
The road starts on the A901 at Junction Bridge in Leith. It heads west out of town along Ferry Road via Goldenacre as far as Crewe Toll, where it turns southwestward to follow Telford Road (formerly the A982) to meet the A90 Queensferry Road. The original route continued along Ferry Road to Davidson's Mains before heading south to the A90 at Quality Street; this is now the B9085.
After a multiplex with the A90, the A902 reappears at Barnton Junction - originally a pair of roundabouts but now signal-controlled - as Maybury Road, heading south to the A8 Glasgow Road. It crosses a roundabout mid-way down Maybury Road which gives access to Maybury Drive and East Craigs. Maybury Drive is the only way into and out of the estate and consequently is known locally as the longest cul-de-sac in Edinburgh. Maybury Road continues south past the art-Deco Maybury Roadhouse to the signal-controlled [Maybury Junction]] (also originally twin roundabouts), the A8 Glasgow Road and the original A9 Turnhouse Road.
In 1922 the A902 ran only from Leith to Davidson's Mains. The multiplex with the A90 and the western section to North Gyle were added later in the 1920s but it was not until the 1960s that the A902 was rerouted along the A982.