B1416, Ugglebarnby Junction
The B1416 is a largely rural B-road on the North York Moors. The road was originally unclassified, except for the section immediately north of Ruswarp which was part of the A169, but the road came into being in 1935.
The road starts at a mini-roundabout on the A174 coast road on the western edge of Whitby and heads south along Love Lane, soon reaching a T-junction on the B1460 (original A171). There's now a brief multiplex south and the B1416 regains its number by turning left onto High Stakesby Road. We cross a small valley and reach a roundabout on the A171. This point marks the original northern end of the B1416 and also the point where we join the pre-1935 route of the A169.
The road now descends into Ruswarp, getting steeper as it continues. There is a zigzag left then right to lessen the gradient before we reach the village centre. Just after the church the B1410 turns right, taking the ex-A169 with it, and we continue over a level crossing by Ruswarp station and then cross a bridge over the River Esk. On the far side we bear sharply right and follow the valley bottom briefly, before a sharp left-hand bend leads directly into a steep climb onto the moors.
The road levels out as it passes through Sneaton before climbing again to the top of the hill. A few bends take the road to a dead-straight section through woodland. There's a sharp left-hand bend where three unclassified roads, one the very steep, winding and narrow route to Sleights, meet at a point. We then head southeast across Fylingdales Moor to end at a T-junction back on the A171.