The B1420 is a short B-road in south Essex. The original road numbering in this area comprised about a mile of unclassified road between the A13 and A1014; however, by the early 1930s these two roads were moved apart and the B1420 came into existence to join the two. Further, more recent, road upgraded have given the road its present length.
The road currently starts at the southernmost (of three) roundabouts at the Five BellsGSJ on the A13, where the A176 and B1464 also end. We head west along the original line of the A13, alongside the present route, to reach a roundabout where the 1930s A13 continued ahead and we bear left, making this the original northern end of the B1420.
We quickly go over the railway line and then reach a mini-roundabout. The street name, Southend Road, which has been with us all the way so far now turns right; indeed this follows the 1922 route of the A13 which we now leave. A short distance further on we enter Corringham. We descend Lampits Hill before Giffords Cross Road, the original A1014 comes in from the right. The B1420 has always continued ahead, however, and passes the church to end at a LILO on the present A1014 shortly afterwards. Before that road was dualled the B1420 followed Rookery Hill slightly to the east.