B1266 (Brotton - Whitby)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||16.2 miles (26.1 km)|
|Met (1923):||A173, A174, A171|
|Now part of:||A174|
|Route outline (key)|
The original route of the B1266 ran along the Yorkshire coast road between Brotton and Whitby.
The road started at the triple point of the A173, A174 and B1266 in the centre of Brotton and headed eastwards to Whitby, where it ended on the West Cliff on the A171. Originally the section of road immediately east of Sandsend was deemed unacceptable to become a classified road leading to a gap in the B1266; however, the gap was filled early on.
In 1935, the A174 was extended east along the entire length of the B1266 freeing up the number for use elsewhere. This is still the number today, except for the section in Brotton which has been bypassed.