Five Ways (Wolverhampton City Centre)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Wolverhampton city centre|
|Junctions related to the A454|
Five Ways within Wolverhampton city centre is located at the junction of Queen Street, Berry Street and Piper's Row, and in common with the Dunstall Park Five Ways, was at one time the meeting place of six roads. It formerly included a road to the east (Horseley Fields), but this was truncated in the early 1980s with the construction of the bus station to the east of the site; as well as the access road to the High Level railway station via the Queen's Building entranceway - hence its original name of Queen Street station. The latter road was removed in the late part of the nineteenth century upon the construction of Railway Drive, which connected to Victoria Square immediately to the north. However, the modern footway that runs between the High Level station and the Queen's Building was constructed along the route of the old road.
It is shown on Isaac Taylor's 1750 map of Wolverhampton, with "Piper's Row or London Row" to the south, Berry Street, Horseley Fields, Piper's Croft (now Queen Street) and Fryer Street to the north.
With the completion of the Inner Ring Road in 1986, traffic was diverted out of the city centre, and the junction lost importance, and was given pedestrian priority for all except the Piper's Row to Queen Street movement, whilst the connecting link to Lichfield Street via Victoria Square was also closed, before being reopened to buses only in the late 1990s. As a result of its almost total loss of importance, the name of the junction has now fallen into virtual disuse.
The A454 originally passed through the junction from Lichfield Street to Horseley Fields.