|Wolverhampton City Council|
|Junctions related to the A460|
|Brereton Roundabout • Cat Roundabout • Churchbridge • Elephant and Castle (Wolverhampton) • Featherstone Interchange • Globe Island • Laney Green Interchange • Longford Island • Queen's Square (Cannock) • Scotlands Island • Wedges Mills Interchange|
|Junctions related to the A454|
|Anson Junction • Bentley Interchange • Bentley Junction • Bilston Street Island • Five Ways (Wolverhampton City Centre) • Fox Crossroads • Horseley Fields Junction • Keyway Junction • Portobello Island • Queen Square (Wolverhampton) • Victoria Square|
|Junctions related to the A459|
|Bull Ring (Sedgley) • Elephant and Castle (Wolverhampton) • Fighting Cocks • Five Ways (Dunstall Park, Wolverhampton) • Lydiate Ash • Queen Square (Wolverhampton) • Snow Hill Junction|
In historic terms, it is extremely important as on 5 November 1927, the first automatic traffic lights in the United Kingdom were installed in this location. The lights were originally installed as a temporary experiment, though they were installed as a permanent feature in October 1928.
To commemorate this, the modern traffic lights in the location have dispensation from the Department for Transport to have the old-fashioned striped poles rather than the modern grey ones.
Princes Square is also historically important due to being the site of the first installation of pedestrian safety barriers, which were here erected in 1934.
Usually, only the light-controlled junction is referred to by the name, but Princes Square actually refers to both that junction, and the roundabout junction with Broad Street and Wulfruna Street just to the north, as well as the short length of connecting street. Whilst not looking much like a "square", the Royal London building on the west side of the square is a later addition to the original layout. The former western side of the square is actually what is now Lichfield Passage, making the entire junction complex much more recognisably a "square".
|Brownhills. Wednesfield||Upgraded to A4124 in 1927|
- Steelway safety barriers history - includes photographs of Princes Square
- Wolverhampton City Council traffic control and signals
- Image of Wolverhampton Civic Society plaque
- Image of Princes Square c1935 showing pedestrian barriers