Queen Square (Wolverhampton)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Wolverhampton city centre|
|Junctions related to the A454|
|Anson Junction • Bentley Interchange • Bentley Junction • Bilston Street Island • Five Ways (Wolverhampton City Centre) • Fox Crossroads • Horseley Fields Junction • Keyway Junction • Portobello Island • Princes Square • Stafford Place • Victoria Square|
|Junctions related to the A459|
|Bull Ring (Sedgley) • Castle Gate Island • Elephant and Castle (Wolverhampton) • Fighting Cocks • Five Ways (Dunstall Park, Wolverhampton) • Lydiate Ash • Princes Square • Snow Hill Junction (Wolverhampton)|
Queen Square (often incorrectly called Queen's Square) is the central focal point of Wolverhampton city centre, and the location of the city's original market. It was also the location for public execution when carried out within the city. Ironically, the Square is not at all square shaped, but is instead triangular.
Originally called High Green it was renamed during the reign of Queen Victoria, as the location of her first public engagement after her period of mourning for Prince Albert. In the centre of the square is located the statue of Prince Albert on horseback, which is well-known as a symbol of the city.
Today, all routes through the square have pedestrian priority, although buses, cycles and taxis are allowed to travel between Lichfield Street and Darlington Street. In 1922, the square formed the junction of A454 and A459. This lasted until the pedestrianisation of Dudley Street in the late 1960s which saw the removal of the A459 to a new route via Princes Square to the east, whilst the completion of the Inner Ring Road in 1986 saw the A454 being removed from the city centre.
It is supposedly the location from which all distances to Wolverhampton are measured.