Elephant and Castle (Wolverhampton)
|Elephant & Castle|
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Junctions related to the A460|
|Junctions related to the B4160 (Wolverhampton)|
|Junctions related to the A459|
Elephant and Castle is a traffic-light controlled junction between two of the major northwards radial routes from Wolverhampton city centre - A449 towards Stafford and M54 junction 2, and A460 towards Cannock and M54 junction 1. It is named after a former public house located in the centre of the fork that was demolished in 2001.
The junction was the site of a planned major upgrade to a grade-separated stacked junction in the 1960s (hence the former reserved land immediately to the southeast, though this plan did not come to fruition.
In the original allocation of road numbers in 1922, the junction saw A460 passing through the junction along Stafford Street to the south, with the road between here and Five Ways taking the B4160 number. This lasted until the 1960s pedestrianisation of Dudley Street in the city centre, when A459 was rerouted to pass beyond the city centre, and therefore A460 was truncated back to Elephant & Castle, with Stafford Street being given a single number for the first time of A459. This status lasted until the final section of the Inner Ring Road was completed in 1986, when A449 was diverted from Waterloo Road to Stafford Street, and therefore through Elephant & Castle.
|M54,M6(N), Stafford, University (North), Bushbury, Pendleford|