|Location Map ( geo)|
|Wolverhampton city centre|
|Junctions related to the A454|
|Junctions related to the A449|
Elephant and Castle (Wolverhampton) • Travellers Rest (Ross-on-Wye) • Five Ways (Dunstall Park, Wolverhampton) • Three Tuns Junction • Vine Island Junction • Dunston Interchange (Stafford) • Stafford Street Junction • Warndon Interchange • Coven Heath Interchange • Gailey Island • Waterloo Road Junction • Goodyear Island • Lloyd Hill Roundabout • Coven Roundabouts • Preston Cross Roundabout • Over Ross Roundabout • Penn Road Island • Abernant Interchange • Usk Interchange • Coldra Interchange • Old Gore Crossroads • Battlefield Roundabout (Wolverhampton) • Standeford Crossroads • Powick Roundabout • Raglan Interchange • Four Ashes Junction
Stafford Place is in Wolverhampton city centre, and is the light-controlled junction located at the west end of Queen Square. The name of the junction has fallen into complete disuse, and the name does not seemingly appear on any Ordnance Survey map post-1880; and does not appear on modern street signage. In comparison with other junction names in the city centre that are no longer common (such as Five Ways), the junction still is of importance within the city centre, although much less important since the completion of the Inner Ring Road in 1986.
It was created in its present crossroads form in the 1820s when Darlington Street to the west was constructed; prior to that it was a T-junction between the road out to Walsall to the east, and the important north-south route between Stafford and Worcester; it is shown in this form on the earliest map of the city centre from 1750; although until 1815 there was an "ancient house" in the centre of the junction.
In 1922 at the time of road classification, this junction became the meeting point of the A454 and A449, although rather than taking the historic North Street route, A449 became the junior partner in a multiplex down Darlington Street, before re-emerging along Waterloo Road. In the 1960s, the southernmost section of School Street was constucted, and A449 and B4159 swapped routes, meaning that Stafford Place became the terminus of the latter route.