Its original western end was on the then-A11 (the present Station Road) in Old Harlow. However, with the building of the new town the end of the B183 has been moved slightly to its current position on the A414 on the edge of Old Harlow.
The B183 bypasses Old Harlow to the south before regaining its original route. It crosses the M11 without a junction before going through the village of Sheering and then coming to a halt in Hatfield Heath on the A1060 (formerly A414).
In 1922, the B183 ended here but in the 1930s it was extended. We therefore multiplex east along the A1060 for one block before turning off and heading north once more. The B183 zigzags to and through Hatfield Broad Oak before continuing north to Takeley, where it ends on the B1256 (the pre-bypass A120). Head straight on at the crossroads to gain an unclassified road into Stansted Airport.
The southern bypass for Old Harlow, Gilden Way, was opened on 4 November 1968 by Jim Kirby, a retired roadbuilder. The 1.35 mile road from London Road to Sheering Road cost £250,000.
Gilden Way will be renumbered as A1025 upon opening of the new M11 J7a.