|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Beech Street (TQ322819)|
|Via:||Fore Street & Red Cross Street|
|Distance:||0.3 miles (0.5 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B129 was a short B-road in the City of London.
The road started on the A501 Moorgate just north of London Wall. It headed west along Fore Street to cross Wood Street and pass to the north of St Giles Cripplegate. It then headed more northerly along Red Cross Street to end on the B100 Beech Street opposite Golden Lane.
There were no classified roads in the City of London in 1922 so the B129 came into being when the City was classified later in the 1920s. The area around the B129 was severely damaged by the Luftwaffe during World War II. The A1211 London Wall was extended west of the A501 across the waste ground in the 1960s and the B129 diverted to serve that road instead. Shortly afterwards much of the area to the north of the A1211 was cleared to make way for the Barbican development. Part of Fore Street still exists and St Giles church has been restored but Red Cross Street has been completely destroyed, making it difficult to follow the route of the B129 on modern maps. Many roads in the City have been downgraded in recent years - but the B129 was naturally not part of that renumbering.
A map from just before the redevelopment of the area can be found here