|A 1:2,500 planning map of Winchester showing the A3091 in 1954|
|From: || Andover Road (SU478299) |
|To: || High Street (SU477296) |
|Via: || Sussex Street|
|Distance: || 0.2 miles (0.3 km)|
|Met (1935): || B3045, A34, A272 |
|Now part of: || B3420|
|Route outline (key)|
||Link in Winchester (Sussex Street)
The former A3091 by the Hampshire Records Office in Sussex Street, Winchester. Lots of good archive documents here!
The A3091 was created around 1935 and provided an alternative link between the A34 and A272 in Winchester, while the A33 ran further east via Jewry Street.
In 1969, when the A34 King's Worthy Link Road opened, it took over a short section of the old A34 along City Road to the east to meet the A3090 Hyde Street.
The road then appears to have survived until 1995, when following the completion of the M3 over Twyford Down, all remaining A roads in Winchester were downgraded. Today, Sussex Street is the southern end of the B3420, while City Road is the western end of the B3330.