The B7042 is a winding road in the Rhins of Galloway. It was originally unclassified but had gained its number by 1932.
The road starts within sight of Luce Bay at a triangular junction on the A716 on the edge of Sandhead. It heads along a narrow road westwards before a sharp right-hand bend takes it into Dalvadie, where it TOTSOs left; the unclassified road ahead returns to the A716.
We now stride out vaguely northwestwards across the hills in the centre of the peninsula. The road is winding - but not particularly steep - and presently reaches a T-junction on the edge of Awhirk. We TOTSO left. Originally the B7042 took the next right turn to run via Colfin station (on the Portpatrick branch) to end on the A77. However, in the 1950s, following closure of the line, the B7042 was given its present route. We therefore continue west from Awhirk and follow a very winding route, albeit slightly wider than the old road. Immediately after crossing the old railway line the road ends at a T-junction on the A77, about half a mile west of the original western end.