|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||4.5 miles (7.2 km)|
|Meets:||A724, A72, A725, B756, A721|
|Route outline (key)|
The B7071 is an urban road in North Lanarkshire.
Beginning by the bus station in Hamilton, at the point where eastbound traffic on the A724 Brandon Road is obliged to turn left onto the B7071, the road follows a one-way route through the town centre, first north-eastward along Leechlee Road then north-westward along Cadzow Street, where we cross the Cadzow Burn by an impressive bridge.
Half a mile from its start-point the B7071 merges into the north-westbound A72, which it follows for just 150 yards before setting off again at the next roundabout, continuing ahead as Bothwell Road. Now two-way – and a dual carriageway – the B7071 continues northwest along Bothwell Road, with the racecourse on the right.
After passing some offices the road narrows just before going over the A725 and then the River Clyde by means of the four-arched Bothwell Bridge. A D2 spur of the B7071 heads right at the next roundabout to meet the A725 and a connection to the M74.
We continue north through Bothwell and Uddingston – passing above Uddingston station – and then cross the M74 by means of a bridge, at the far end of which the A721 comes in from the right and continues the way forward, the B7071 ending at this point.
The B7071 is a section of former A74 that was bypassed by the M74 in 1968. It retained the A74 number for some years but was reclassified some time between 1971 and 1975. Prior to 1935 the road had been a part of the A724.