|From:||Parson Street, Bedminster (ST579705)|
|To:||Wells Road, Knowle (ST606708)|
|Distance:||1.9 miles (3.1 km)|
|Meets:||A38, A4174, B3120, A37|
|Former Number(s):||B3121, B3120|
|Old route now:||A4, A3029|
|Route outline (key)|
The B3122 is a local route in South Bristol. It starts on the A4174 at Parson Street station, and heads north east along Bedminster Road through suburbia. The B3120 is met at a mini roundabout in Malago Vale and then the road runs along St Johns Lane to the south of Victoria Park. An effective TOTSO to the right at another mini roundabout turns the B3122 onto Redcatch Road, with the former route of the B3120 continuing ahead. The B3122 then continues to follow Redcatch Road through interwar developments as it TOTSOs to the left. The last stretch of the route then runs east past Redcatch Park to end on the A37 Wells Road in Knowle.
The modern B3122 runs on a completely different alignment to its original location. However, this has been a gradual change as the years progressed, and is not a re-use of an old number.
In 1922, it started on the junction of what was the A36 and A4018 at College Green, and ran southwest, crossing the Avon and ending on the A370. The initial section to Hotwells was quickly upgraded to the A36 to tie in with the newly built Portway, which opened in 1926. In 1935, it was extended by taking over the route of the former B3121 through Bedminster round to the A38. It was then subsequently extended again onto roughly its current alignment by 1938, taking on part of the B3120.
Since then, the section from the Portway to the A370 has been demolished by the reconstruction of Bristol Docks, the creation of the Cumberland Basin junction and the arrival of Brunel Way. At a similar time to this redevelopment, the section through Bedminster was upgraded to become part of the A3029. This means that the current route of the B3122 is now completely different the 1922 route, and also no longer includes the former B3121 which was added in 1935. In fact, almost half of the current route was originally the B3120, and there is no obvious reason why it was renumbered.