|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||2 miles (3.2 km)|
|Meets:||A420, B480, B4495, A4142|
|Route outline (key)|
The A4158 is a short A-road heading out of Oxford to the south. The road was originally part of the A42 before being renumbered A423 in 1935. The road gained the A4158 number following construction of the A4142, the eastern section of the Oxford Ring Road, in 1959.
The road starts at a roundabout on the A420 on the eastern side of Magdalen Bridge. It heads south along Iffley Road and immediately becomes residential. Unusually, although the road is wide enough to be S2, the road has been narrowed deliberately to allow cycle lanes on either side of the road. These eventually disappear but we do not get a white line down the middle of the road.
The road continues through the leafy suburbs and gains the central line just before meeting the B4495 at traffic lights. There's then a surprisingly lengthy multiplex as the road becomes more obviously suburban, ending at another set of lights. The road continues and presently reaches a roundabout on the A4142 eastern bypass, where the road ends.