|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Port Eynon (SS468851)|
|Distance:||17.3 miles (27.8 km)|
|Meets:||A483, B4489, B4290, A4216, B4296, B4271, B4436, B4247|
|Route outline (key)|
The A4118 runs along the Gower Peninsula west of Swansea.
The road starts at a large signalised crossroads in Swansea city centre on the A483, which TOTSOs here. It heads south along the D2 Dyfatty Street to reach a one-way loop. Westbound traffic continues ahead along a road that obviously was once D2; however, the westbound A4118 uses the former eastbound carriageway whilst the former westbound carriageway is now a two-way bus-only road. We soon bear right onto a more normal one-way street with bus lane to rejoin the other carriageway at the top. Eastbound traffic runs one block further north along a more typical city road.
Leaving the one-way system behind the A4118 continues west along Walter Road through the western suburbs. In Sketty the road crosses the A4216 at traffic lights and continues on to Killay where there is a brief stretch of dual carriageway between roundabouts providing access to a school and Swansea University's halls of residence. A further roundabout half a mile further on serves the B4296, after which there is a brief rural section as we cross a wooded valley. The road is built-up again as we climb to Upper Killay but finally becomes rural as we cross a cattle grid onto Fairwood Common.
The road bends round to the left and then skirts Swansea Airport, which only sees light aircraft. After crossing another cattle grid, to leave the Common, we drop down into a small wooded valley and follow it downstream through Parkmill to a valley junction, where we cross the second stream and continue ahead back onto the top. After running through Penmaen the sea becomes visible to the left, with a range of hills about the same distance away to the right. We continue ahead when the coast bears off left. We pass through Knelston to a sharp left-hand bend.
Now heading due south, we soon meet our last classified road, the B4247 to Worms Head, before the sea becomes visible again ahead as we approach Port Eynon. The road winds as it descends into the village and soon becomes very narrow as it negotiates the village streets, with a sharp bend by the church. There are a few side roads but nowhere really to turn round, so drivers getting this far have essentially committed themselves to completing the route. The road ends on the edge of the beach, where there is a loop allowing traffic to return and also giving access to a car park.
Apart from starting life in the 1922 Road Lists as the B4294, the route of the A4118 – which it had become by 1926 – has remained substantially unaltered throughout its history, with just slight changes to its end points.
While it originally began at the start of Alexandra Road, at a junction with the old route of the A4067 through Swansea, immediately opposite High Street station, the A4118 now begins some 500 m further north at the busy Greenhill junction with the A483 known locally as the "Dyfatty lights" (this additional stretch, along Dyfatty Street and New Orchard Street, used to be part of the B4489).
Around 250 m has also been added to the road's western end where it now runs right through the village to a terminal roundabout by the beach car park instead of ending at Port Eynon post office.